Initiated in 2004 and funded by the American Healthcare Institute (AHI). AHI partners with NASN each year to hold regional summer conferences. The NASN-AHI Scholarship was developed in honor of Jeanne Kiefner, AHI Advances in School Nursing Summer Conference Chairperson. Jeanne, former NASN Board of Directors member, began in the early 1990s serving as NASN's representative to AHI and quickly assumed the role of Conference Chairperson. In her role, Jeanne seeks out new quality speakers and identifies content experts.
Intended to improve school nursing by assisting registered nurses employed in schools to advance their education and by recognizing continuing education as a priority among school nurses.
1. Current and Active membership status in NASN for at least the past two years
2. Current license as registered nurse in state of employment
3. Current employment as a school nurse
Applicant Responsibilities - All responsibilities must be met to be eligible
1. Demonstrate a serious intent to advance school nursing practice. You will convey this during the application process when you submit your essay (500 words or less) describing how your students and school system will benefit from receipt of this scholarship.
2. Upload a digital copy of RN license with this application when prompted. If you do not have a digital copy, you can create one by scanning your license and saving it to your computer to upload during the application process.
3. Upload a digital document verifying your current employment as a school nurse when prompted. This should be on letterhead or include the employer's name, telephone and address. Please be sure that it also indicates your current position.
4. Upload a digital document showing support from your immediate supervisor for acceptance of this award. This should be on letterhead or include the employer's name, telephone and address.
5. Complete this online application before the deadline.
1. a. Benefit to school nursing practice - 60%
b .Impact on the community - 25%
c. Educational goals - 15%
2. The applicant’s ability to briefly and concisely respond will be factored into the decision.
3. The Scholarship will only be awarded to candidates who met the established criteria and can demonstrate quality of practice.
4. The Scholarship will not be awarded if a qualified candidate is not identified.
5. The decision of the committee will be final and not open to appeal.
1. One scholarship (Up to $1,000) will be awarded, to assist with the following expenses for attendance at the American Healthcare Symposia:
Cost of tuition for one regional meeting, including pre-conference session;
Travel to and from the regional meeting
Hotel accommodations at the meeting hotel.
Daily stipend for meals and ground transportation.
2. Recipient expenses (Up to $1,000) to be reimbursed according to NASN procedure.
3. This scholarship must be used in the calendar year that it is awarded.
4. Recipient's name will be announced at the NASN Annual Conference and published in the NASN Newsletter.
5. Information on the Award’s history will be included in the application and in the Awards program.
1) Submitted online no later than April 15
Learn more about the summer conferences.
Apply for the scholarship.