Intended to improve school nursing by assisting registered nurses employed in schools to advance their education and by recognizing continuing education as a priority among school nurses.
In 2010 the IOM: Future of Nursing recommended supporting the advancement of nurses, with the goal that 80% of nurses have a baccalaureate degree by 2020. Allowing one NASN scholarship to support a school nurse to pursue a baccalaureate nursing degree will support the advancement of school nursing practice.
- One scholarship (up to $1,500) will be awarded, to assist with the following expenses for a school nurse to pursue a Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree.
- Recipient expenses will be reimbursed according to NASN procedure.
- This scholarship must be used within one year of the award date.
- Recipient's name will be announced at the NASN Annual Conference and communicated to the NASN membership.
- Current membership status in NASN for at least the past two years.
- Current license as registered nurse in state of employment.
- Current employment for at least .6 FTE as a nurse in a school for at least the past two years.
- Demonstrate a serious intent to advance school nursing practice. You will convey this during the application process when you submit your essay (500 words or less) describing how your students and school system will benefit from receipt of this scholarship.
- Upload a digital copy of RN license with this application when prompted. If you do not have a digital copy, you can create one by scanning your license and saving it to your computer to upload during the application process.
- Upload a digital document verifying your current employment as a school nurse when prompted. This should be on letterhead or include the employer's name, telephone and address. Please be sure that it also indicates your current position.
- Complete this online application no later than October 15th.
- Scholarship will be rated on the following criteria:
a. Benefit to school nursing practice - 60%
b. Impact on the community - 25%
c. Educational goals - 15%
- The applicant’s ability to briefly and concisely respond will be factored into the decision.
- The scholarships will only be presented to candidates who meet the established criteria and can demonstrate quality of practice.
- The scholarships will not be presented if a qualified candidate is not identified.
- The decision of the committee will be final and not open to appeal.
The 2018 application cycle has ended. The 2019 application cycle will open on or about August 15, 2018.
Application deadline is October 15th.
Questions? Contact NASN.