Constance Griffin, BSN, RN, AE-C, NCSN
Current NASN Affiliate: New York State Association of School Nurses (NYSASN)
Major Clinical, Teaching, or Practice Area: School Nurse, Secondary
Education: Empire State University of New York, Community and Human Services, Bachelor of Science/2013; SUNY Orange, Nursing, Associate in Applied Science-Nursing/1986
Awards, Achievements, and Honors: National Board Certified School Nurse, 2014; National Board Certified Asthma Educator, 2013; NASN Excellence in School Nursing - Affiliate School Nurse of the Year Award, 2013; NYSASN School Nurse of the Year Award, 2013; NYSASN Judith Harrigan Leadership Award, 2012; Mid-Hudson Study Council Excellence in School Nursing Award, 2012; Asset Builder Outstanding School-Based Professional Award, 2010; NYSASN School Nurse of Excellence Award, 2010; American Heart Association BLS Instructor, 1997; American Red Cross CPR/FA Instructor, 1996; Nursing Academic Achievement Award - High Honors, 1986
Employment: RN - School Nurse/Coordinator, Valley Central School District, 1994 - Present: Responsible for using the nursing process to assess the health needs of students and staff at the secondary level; provides care and/ or medications for acute and chronic conditions; develops individual health care plans for students with special needs; performs vision, hearing, and scoliosis screenings and make appropriate referrals; prepares and maintains accurate cumulative health records on all students; serves as a resource person to families, staff, and the community; reviews and updates medical forms for the district health offices; works with the district medical director in the development of standing orders in the health office for Epinephrine auto-injectors, Narcan, and first aid orders; coordinates nursing services throughout the district; coordinates the ordering of the correct supplies needed to care for each individual school’s population; and coordinates staff placement throughout the district’s schools. Positions at Valley Central School District - High School, 2021 - Present; Middle School, 2013 - 2021; Elementary, 2004 - 2013
Other Significant Positions Held: District Safety Coordinator, Valley Central School District, 2020 - 2022; District School Nurse Coordinator, Valley Central School District, 2018 - Present
Present NASN Offices/Appointments: NASN School Nurse Journal Editorial Advisory Board, 2018 - Present
Past NASN Offices/Appointments: NASN Board of Directors, 2017 - 2021; NASN Finance Committee, 2017 - 2021; NASN Education and School Nurse Practice Committee, 2019 - 2021; NASN School Nurse Journal Advisory Board, 2015 - 2018; NASN Immunization Advisory Committee, 2012; NASN School Nurse Journal Editorial Advisory Board, 2010 - 2014; NASN Board of Directors, 2009 - 2012; NASN Finance Committee, 2009 - 2012
Present NASN Affiliate Offices/Appointments: NYSASN School Nurse Orientation Faculty, 2004 - Present
Past NASN Affiliate Offices/Appointments: Zone 5 Representative, 2022 - Present; NASN Director, 2018 - 2021; Communications Liaison, 2017; Past-President, 2015 - 2016; President, 2014 - 2015; President-Elect, 2013 - 2014; NASN Director, 2009 - 2012; Promotional Chair, 2004 - 2008; Zone 5 Representative, 1996 - 2004
Present Offices/Appointments in Other Associations: New York State Public High School Athletic Association Safety Committee Voting Member, 2022 - Present; Advisory Board Member for the Orange County Medical Reserve Corps, 2016 - Present
Past Offices/Appointments in Other Associations: Hudson Valley Asthma Coalition Steering Committee, 2010 - 2016
Publications Significant to School Nursing:
- National Association of School Nurses. (2020). Immunizations (Position Statement). Silver Spring, MD. Author. Retrieved from https://www.nasn.org/nasn-resources/professionalpractice-documents/position-statements/ps-immunizations
- National Association of School Nurses. (2021). Concussions: School-based management [Position Statement]. Author. Retrieved from https://www.nasn.org/nasnresources/ professional-practice-documents/position-statements/ps-concussions
Presentations Significant to School Nursing:
- Griffin, C. (2020, August 10-12). Immunization Requirements for School Attendance in NYS and the NYS Immunization Survey. Presented at: New York State Association of School Nurses School Nurse Orientation Program, Skaneateles, NY.
- Griffin, C. (2020, August 10-12). The School Nurse and Asthma Management. Presented at New York State Association of School Nurses School Nurse Orientation Program, Skaneateles, NY.
- Griffin, C. (2020, August 10-12). The School Nurse and School Emergency Management Planning. Presented at New York State Association of School Nurses School Nurse Orientation Program, Skaneateles, NY.
- Griffin, C. (2019, August 12-15). NYS Vision Practicum Training. Presented at New York State Association of School Nurses School Nurse Orientation Program.
- Griffin, C. (2018, March 14). The Role of the School Nurse in the School Safety Crisis. Presented at Zone 4 School Nurse Association.
Research Significant to School Nursing:
- I collected school nursing data on a district level to help show and support the need for an additional school nurse.
- On the state level, I help to coordinate the collection of data by being one of New York’s Data Coordinators for NASN’s The National School Health Data Set: Every Student Counts!
Statement of View: School nurses routinely face isolation and limited resources to meet the needs and challenges of their student population. They often feel overlooked in school budgets and are challenged to explain their value to their district and community. I feel that NASN membership provides school nurses with the tools they need to secure the foundational school health data and evidence needed to articulate the value of school nursing services to all school stakeholders and decision-makers.
The Secretary/ Treasurer position chairs the finance committee, the investment advisory committee and the professional practice documents advisory committee. With my past NASN BOD experience and being on the finance committee, I feel I have experience in knowing the fiduciary responsibilities of the role and the commitment to serve as a productive, dedicated, and knowledgeable Secretary/Treasurer.
If elected, I will work in partnership with NASN to strive to connect with school nurses and provide them with the resources to support their ever-changing roles which will help give them that voice, feeling of value, and leadership qualities to improve their school nursing practice. Strengthening school nurses will help develop strong leaders who are ready to take on leadership roles within their professional organizations to advance the practice of school nursing.
School nurses work in professional isolation, in a non-healthcare setting. Membership in NASN gives the 21st-century school nurse access to a broad array of current professional resources. NASN’s eLearning platform provides us with ready access to continuing education, clinical practice guidelines, and community support all of which enable us to provide evidenced-based care to our students.
I want every school nurse to experience the many benefits of NASN membership and to know that as we navigate emerging health challenges, we can be confident that NASN will be there for us.
This Secretary/Treasurer candidate completed the Nominating Committee process.