Promote membership recruitment by affiliates
Benefit to Membership
NASN members benefit from the award by attracting new members to NASN, which results in greater revenue, visibility and influence of the organization.
The NASN Affiliate Membership Award was established 1973 in as a tribute to Mr. Elmer Hawkins. The NASN Affiliate Membership Recruitment Scholarship was established in 2001. Both the award and scholarship acknowledge the importance of membership recruitment and were combined into one award in 2014 and renamed the NASN Elmer Hawkins Affiliate Membership Recruitment Scholarship. Mr. Hawkins was a National Education Association director, who was instrumental in assisting school nurses to form an affiliate organization of the National Education Association, known as the Department of School Nurses--National Education Association (DSN/NEA). Elmer Hawkins served as DSN/NEA liaison from 1968 through 1973. DSN later incorporated to become the National Association of School Nurses.
Eligible affiliates are determined by the set percentage of annual membership growth. Scholarship money is used to assist the affiliate in sending a member to the NASN annual conference.
- Must be a NASN Affiliate.
- Must increase membership by 10% in the twelve-month period ending March 31 of the current year as compared to the number of members as of March 31 of the prior year.
- All new members must meet all of NASN’s membership requirements..
- Winner will be selected through a drawing in April.
- Odds of winning depend on the eligible affiliates demonstrating growth in annual membership.
- Members of NASN Board of Directors, staff, contractors or their immediate families are not eligible.
One (1) scholarship not to exceed $1500 will be presented to the affiliate drawn to attend the NASN annual conference. It is to be used only to pay for expenses of registration, travel and lodging for the NASN annual conference.
Affiliate will be allowed to choose the person(s) who will attend the NASN annual conference.
One eligible affiliate will be selected by a random process.
Recipient’s name and affiliate will be communicated to the NASN membership.
Eligible affiliates will automatically be added into the random drawing. No application process required.